It’s Monday morning, the alarm sounds, and you sigh because the week begins again. Yes, you like your job, but for some reason you celebrate when it’s Friday and never look forward to Monday. Maybe you need a side business to jump-start your energy.
Perhaps you need to start your own business. Maybe you are just unhappy with your current position or just need a drastic change in life. Regardless of the exact scenario, there are several signs that you may be seriously ready to start your own business.
Let’s face it. Everyone is not equipped to be an entrepreneur, but there are so many of us who have the skills and don’t realize it. Together let’s examine if you possess the qualities of a great business owner destined for success.
1) You are always thinking. Entrepreneurs never stop thinking of ideas. Do you exhibit this behavior? Perhaps it’s time to put your bright ideas into motion. Great businesses are simply great ideas that lead to profit and personal satisfaction.
2) You are motivated. You don’t need someone or something to get you started because you possess that inner drive to motivate yourself. You have direction, a vision, and you are passionate about your idea.
3) You are independent. You are a problem-solver who knows how to get the answers you need on your own. You don’t need someone guiding you every step of the way. You are smart enough to know when you need help but independent enough to know not to rely on others to get the job done. Those who are independent can make excellent business owners.
4) You are organized. Running a business requires great organizational skills. You will have to organize your finances, your daily objectives, and your staff. You will eventually need an accountant for your taxes and a lawyer for your legal documents. Organizational skills are important in building a successful business.
5) You feel a need to help people. Do you feel a strong need to help others by providing a product or service? Some of the strongest companies have emerged over the years that are built on the foundation of providing help to others.
6) You have an incredible work ethic. You don’t mind working long hours. You believe in working until the job is done. Why not spend those 12-hour days working in your own business?
7) You have a great deal of self-confidence. Building a business is not easy, and you may have many obstacles in your path such as lack of money and lack of assistance. A successful business owner should possess the confidence that his or her business will be the best business possible, despite the obstacles.
8) You must have determination and drive to push through the challenges. There will be start-up obstacles, financial obstacles, and management obstacles. Your determination can be the key to having a successful business.
9) You have always wanted to do something you enjoy. Thomas Edison once said, “I never did a day’s work in my life. It was all fun.” There are several successful business owners who have spoken those exact words. Start a business you enjoy.
10) You are a born leader. Having a great idea is one thing, but being able to lead a successful business is a true skill. If you are a great leader and motivator and one who can lead your team by example, then perhaps the world of entrepreneurship is for you.
Do you have a business idea that you would enjoy launching and that has the potential to be profitable? Do you possess the above qualities? Now is the time to make that launch to success!
Kimberly Slay Holmes is an attorney who has been practicing law for over 25 years and has represented businesses and their owners throughout her legal career. She has her own law firm in Maple Grove, Minnesota and Baton Rouge, Louisiana. She welcomes reader responses to email@example.com or 763-553-2000, and you can follow her on twitter @ks_legal.