Minnesota Zoological Garden
Job Posting for Interest Bidding
Minnesota Association of Professional Employees
Under the provisions of the Labor Agreement between the State of Minnesota and MAPE, the
following position is open for interest bidding from eligible employees in the bargaining unit for a period of 7 calendar days from the posting of this notice.
Posting date: March 30, 2018
Posted by: Roxanne Lane, Human Resources
Job Classification: Special Events Coordinator
Location: Membership Office
Employment Condition: Full Time, Permanent
Hours: Monday – Friday (schedule may vary and include evenings and weekends as needed)
This position provides the organizational and relationship management needed to establish and implement a coordinated events and promotions effort designed to increase overall zoo attendance and sponsorship revenue and member retention, improve the Zoo’s guest experience and member engagement, and increase public awareness of the Zoo’s mission to save wildlife.
The position will develop, plan, supervise and coordinate special events at the Minnesota Zoo including membership events, public events, and promotional activities.
- Develop the annual work plan for on-site events that will encourage guests to connect
with our mission to save wildlife and increase attendance, membership acquisition and
retention, and revenue and meet departmental goals.
- Promote and negotiate sponsorship for events that will result in increased revenue for
the Zoo, enhance the guest experience and bring value to the sponsor.
- Develop and implement event-specific work plans for on-site events so that events run
smoothly and all sponsorship commitments are met.
- Perform other duties or special projects as assigned to ensure the smooth functioning of
the department and maintain the reputation of the organization as a viable business
- Bachelor’s degree business, communication, marketing or other related field or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Two years of experience in event planning or sales promotion
- Proven track record in new business development or client cultivation
- Knowledge of sales/marketing principles
- Organizational skills sufficient to manage multiple projects simultaneously, delivering
results and meeting deadlines
- Written and verbal communication skills sufficient to write, prepare, and edit materials
such as memos, procedures, reports, presentations, etc., and clearly explain, discuss,
communicate and present ideas, proposals, work plans, procedures, etc. to clients, staff,
managers and senior managers
- Comprehensive computer software skills, including knowledge of word processing,
spreadsheet, database, graphics, charting, and other business software applications sufficient to collect, query and analyze data and prepare charts, reports and presentations
- Customer services skills sufficient to actively listen to and understand needs and provide accurate information and appropriate alternatives and proposals in a timely, thorough, courteous, respectful, and professional manner in person, over the phone and in writing
- Ability to develop and manage budgets for special events
- Current valid driver’s license
- Ability to work flexible shifts including evenings and weekends
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds regularly and occasionally lift and/or move
up to 50 pounds
- Ability to navigate challenging physical spaces in which equipment is located
- Ability to work outdoors in inclement weather conditions
- Manual dexterity sufficient to operate a computer keypad, hang a banner, use credit
card readers, distribute materials, etc.
- Ability to stand, walk, and/or sit for long periods of time
- Ability to use an audio headset for two-way communication during programs and events
All interested and qualified employees should submit a written request (bid) to: Roxanne Lane, Human Resources, Minnesota Zoo
On or before the expiration date of the posting. The bid posting expiration date is: April 6, 2018