Staff Attorney, Upper Midwest Pension Rights Project – Metropolitan Area
Agency on Aging
Potential for part time or job share
Starting salary of $52,000 – $60,000
First, Let Us Introduce Ourselves
We are the Metropolitan Area Agency on Aging (MAAA), a leader, advocate and partner in the 7-county Twin Cities metropolitan region. The Upper Midwest Pension Project (UMPRP) is one of six regional pension counseling projects serving a five-state region, provided in partnership with MAAA. Our lawyers help clients recover lost pensions, make pension claims and appeals, and provide assistance with retirement plans.
What Type of Individual Are We Looking For?
- Demonstrated commitment to serving the public interest with integrity and
- Ability to maintain ethical business practices while discharging all duties as the
Attorney of the UMPRP
- Passionate about working in a mission-focused nonprofit
- Possesses a willingness and ability to contribute to a positive, team-oriented
work environment and development of relationships with key project partners.
What Will You Be Doing?
- Provides pension counseling including client intakes, reviews claims for legal viability
- Assists with survivor benefit and former spouse pension issues
- Drafts claims and appeals for retirement income benefits, negotiates settlements in
claim disputes and recoupment actions
- Performs legal research, uses PIKA system for documentation
- Searches for lost pension plans
- Refers individuals to private attorneys, actuaries, retirement benefits specialist, law
school clinics and other sources when presented case is outside of project scope
- Assists in the implementation of outreach program to educate and disseminate
information and materials throughout the 4-state region
- Serves as the privacy officer for the organization and its subsidiary overseeing activities
related to the development, implementation and management of the organization’s
data privacy, access and retention in compliance with federal and state laws.
What Skills Do You Need to Be Considered for This Position?
- Juris Doctor of Law degree required with license to practice law in Minnesota
- Knowledgeable of ERISA and employee benefits law
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to supervise and manage additional law clerks, interns and volunteers.
- Ability to network, build and maintain relationships with Legal Aid providers, law
schools, social service organizations, and members of the private bar.
- Skilled in problem-solving and can navigate complex problems with multiple variables in a variety of situations
What Are the Perks?
- Strong, consistent history of growth, financial stability, and effective leadership,
- Generous paid time off benefit of 26 days/year plus 8 holidays,
- Comprehensive benefits, including medical, dental, life, and disability,
- Pension plan with 5% match,
- Professional challenge,
- Positive and collaborative work environment, and
- The opportunity to make a significant impact in a growing, and visionary organization.
To learn more about the Metropolitan Area Agency on Aging, please explore our website. Qualified candidates are invited to submit a resume online at http://metroaging.org/careers
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled/Veterans