Legal Services State Support (State Support) is seeking a full-time Program Manager. State Support is a project of the Minnesota Legal Services Coalition (MLSC), and is housed within Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid in its St. Paul office. State Support is a nationally recognized organization whose mission is to improve access to justice for all Minnesotans. State Support’s unique role is to provide information, connections, and tools for the public and for advocates, and to support the civil legal aid programs who share our mission. Our strength is leveraging technology to provide this support broadly throughout the state. We are sustained by our relationship with MLSC programs and direct grants. State Support does not provide direct representation to clients.
State Support plays an essential role in Minnesota’s civil justice system. Our work falls into the following focus areas:
- Educate the Public About Legal Issues. This includes publishing fact sheets and booklets and managing a library of other legal education materials on LawHelpMN.org.
- Improve Client Referrals to Providers. State Support recently launched a redesigned LawHelpMN.org and is working on a new online intake system. The new site contains LawHelpMN Guide, a triage system directing people to the best available resource for their legal problem. In addition to these new projects, our work in this area also includes online intake, a case placement tool on our advocate site, and LiveChat navigation assistance.
- Strengthen the Advocate Community Through Skills-Based and Legal Education. Our activities in this area include hosting 15-20 poverty law continuing legal education (CLE) trainings per year and a biennial statewide conference, coordinating listservs and practice groups, and managing a library of practice resources on our advocate website, ProJusticeMN.org.
- Strengthen the Advocate Community Through System-Wide Support. Our activities in this area include housing statewide volunteer resources on ProJusticeMN.org, coordinating bimonthly meetings of the legal aid provider network, publishing a blog and monthly e-newsletter with legal aid news, maintaining a staff directory of all legal aid providers across the state, and posting available legal aid positions. Our program website, MNLegalServices.org, highlights our work in this area and serves as an umbrella site for the Minnesota Legal Services Coalition.
- Expand Free Legal Services. By accessing brief legal services online, more clients get legal assistance to help them solve their problem. Our activities in this area include online document assembly tools on LawHelpMN.org and managing MNLegalAdvice.org, a statewide online legal advice website.
This position will lead the work of State Support broadly while working as a team member to promote its work to the wider justice community and the public. A primary aspect of the Program Manager’s work will be as State Support’s liaison to legal services programs in Minnesota and to the national legal services technology community. Responsibilities include office work planning, grants management, technology innovation study and evaluation, external relations with civil justice system stakeholders throughout Minnesota, and staff supervision and evaluation. This is a unique job that provides an exciting opportunity to make a statewide impact on improving access to justice for all Minnesotans.
Applicants must be an attorney licensed in Minnesota or eligible for admission by reciprocity. Applicants should have at least five years of legal experience. Applicants must also have:
- a demonstrated interest in and commitment to the needs of low-income/vulnerable clients
- excellent communication, analytical, and writing skills, including:
- strong public speaking skills
- strong interpersonal skills and experience working in a team-based setting
- a demonstrated aptitude and interest in technology-based approaches
- proficiency using Microsoft Suite
- project planning and project management experience
Experience in poverty law, legal services, or equivalent general practice is preferred. Familiarity with basic website administration and online legal resources in Minnesota is preferred. Diverse economic, social, or cultural experiences and relevant language skills are a plus. Leadership experience is preferred.
Up to $67,440 DOE. Benefits include generous vacation, sick leave, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, and family medical insurance.
As soon as possible after position is filled.
Cover letter and resume with references should be submitted online at www.mylegalaid.org/jobs by July 5, 2019. Late applications will be considered until the position is filled.
No calls please.
MMLA/Legal Services State Support is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.