Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid (Legal Aid) provides free legal representation to people living in poverty, elderly people, and people with disabilities. Legal Aid is supported by funding from the State of Minnesota, the federal government, local governments, the United Way, foundations, local law firms, and other organizations. Legal Aid enjoys a good rapport with, and strong support from, the organized bar. Legal Aid does not receive funds from the Legal Services Corporation.
POSITION: Legal Aid seeks a supervising attorney to develop and coordinate pro bono initiatives throughout its poverty law program as well as in its statewide Minnesota Disability Law Center. The supervising attorney will interact with a variety of stakeholders including Legal Aid staff, law firms, corporations, attorney volunteers, clients, and the general public. This position is based in Legal Aid’s Minneapolis office and reports to that office’s Deputy Director.
- Develop and implement new pro bono projects and initiatives.
- Assist with maintaining existing pro bono projects and initiatives.
- Recruit pro bono attorneys for pro bono projects and initiatives.
- Maintain and build on relationships with private law firm pro bono programs/coordinators in the communities Legal Aid serves.
- Develop and direct publicity for Legal Aid’s pro bono opportunities.
- Provide reports regarding Legal Aid’s pro bono activities to Legal Aid’s senior management and governing board.
- Assist in planning and implementing training events for pro bono volunteers.
- Applicants must have a demonstrated interest in, and commitment to, the needs of low income/vulnerable people.
- Applicants must be licensed in Minnesota, eligible for admission by reciprocity, or planning to take the next Minnesota bar exam.
- Applicants must have excellent communication, analytical, and writing skills.
- Applicants must have the ability to communicate effectively and comfortably with lawyers and with clients from a variety of social-economic backgrounds.
- Diverse economic, social, or cultural experiences are a plus.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Windows and Office is required.
SALARY: $56,101 to $75,588 DOE. Benefits include vacation, sick leave, and 11 paid holidays, as well as family medical/dental, life, short-term disability, and long-term disability insurance.
APPLICATIONS: Cover letter and resume must be submitted online by Monday, March 2, 2020, at www.mylegalaid.org/jobs.
Applications accepted until position is filled. No calls please.
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.