Education and Leadership for a Lifetime
Notice of Position Opening
Position: Associate Director, Minnesota State High School League
- Primary ResponsibilitiesServe as MSHSL Associate Director, modeling the mission and beliefs of the MSHSL Support athletes, coaches, administrators, and school communities as they maximize opportunities to provide education-based athletic and fine arts activities
- Communicate with member school personnel regarding the value of providing education-based activities and athletics and the value for students of participation in League-sponsored activities
- Administer eligibility and compliance of all MSHSL rules, policies and bylaws
- Serve as an eligibility and compliance contact for all MSHSL member schools and constituents
- Collaborate with the members of the MSHSL administrative team, support staff, Board of Directors, Region Committees, Coaches Associations, Coaches Advisory Committees and Member Schools
- Assist the Executive Director in preparing and administering the rules, policies and bylaws of
- Assist the Board of Directors, the Representative Assembly and Region Committees in preparing, reviewing and administering the rules policies and bylaws of the MSHSL
- Work with MSHSL legal counsel and legislative lobbyist as required
- Serve as a staff liaison for the MSHSL Board of Directors Eligibility Committee
- Serve as the staff liaison and coordinate the MSHSL Sports Medicine Advisory Committee, including all health, wellness and safety initiatives as well as supervising the assignment of
medical personnel for all MSHSL state tournaments
- Assist at statewide meetings by speaking at conferences, leading discussion groups, instructing ADs and serving as a staff liaison to assigned ad hoc/task force committees
- Administer, organize and manage MSHSL athletic activities as assigned, including but not limited to: develop related initiatives for each activity, director of the state tournament, assignment of tournament personnel, selection of tournament officials, plan collaboratively with site personnel, rule interpretations, networking with coaches and officials, processing incident reports
- Prepare budgets, review and negotiate site contracts and administer expenditures and reimbursements to officials, tournament personnel and participating teams for all areas of assigned responsibilities
- Develop collegial relationships with coaches’ associations for the major fall, winter and spring tournaments assigned to this position
- Serve as a representative and spokesperson for the League by:
- Speaking at League meetings, school functions, community events and professional conferences and workshops
- Writing on issues related to areas of assigned responsibilities and other educational issues in League publications and other education publications
- Preparing reports as required and requested by the Executive Director or Board of Directors
- Serving on state and national committees as League representative
- Providing interviews for newspapers, other publications, radio and television as a representative of the League
- Preparing press releases to promote areas of assigned responsibilities
- Preparing and delivering speeches at functions such as athletic banquets, pre-season parent meetings and other school functions
- Chair sport association ad hoc committees as may be assigned from time to time
- Other duties as may be assigned by the Executive Director
Desired Personal Qualities:
- Effective Communicator
- Collaborative and Supportive
- Data Processing and Information Synthesis
- Judgement and problem Analysis
- Interpersonal Relationship Skills
- Teambuilding Skills
- Policy Formation and Governance
- Organized and Efficient
- Minimum of a BA or BS with evidence of continuing education. Additional certification, or an MA or higher in administration or leadership is preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership in the administration of League sponsored athletic and fine arts activities at the local, regional and/or state level or leadership in a similar organization.
- Demonstrated belief and action supporting the MSHSL Why We Play initiative and philosophy in the candidate’s school, community or organization.
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills in small and large group settings.
- Evidence of a student-centered educational philosophy and leadership.
- Proficient, efficient and innovative in technological applications in the areas of communication, collaboration, organization, and instruction.
- Ability to organize and administer comprehensive high school activities and develop related initiatives for educational administrators, activity directors and other school personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, administer and evaluate people and programs.
- Identified leadership in the candidate’s current position to develop initiatives in the school/school community or in conjunction with other outreach programs.
- Supervisory experience for coaches, teachers, or other school personnel.
- Medical, dental, term life, and disability insurance
- Sick leave, vacation
- 403(b) retirement plan match with personal contributio
- Salary commensurate with professional qualifications, experience and comparable positions in other Section 4 and 5 High School Associations
- Other benefits as may be provided by the Board of Directors
- One-page letter expressing interest in MSHSL employment
- Resume detailing administrative and program management experiences
- An original article, suitable for publication, detailing the values students learn through
participation in education-based athletic and fine arts activities
- Specific information relative to the candidate’s involvement/development of local or
statewide initiatives to promote leadership, collaboration with colleagues, educational
seminars or similar leadership workshops
- Maximum of three (3) letters of reference may be provided
- Permission for background check to be done as a requirement for selected candidate
- Names, addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses of three additional persons
who can speak about the candidate’s skills in fulfilling the primary responsibilities of this
Announcement of position opening February 17, 2020
Deadline for receiving applications March 20, 2020
Announce selection of Associate Director TBD
Begin Employment June 15 – July 6, 2020
Information requested for this position must be submitted to email@example.com.