POSITION: Development Director
JOB TYPE: Regular, full time
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
To apply, we ask that you send a resume to Al Willig, Finance & Operations Director.
firstname.lastname@example.org. The position will remain open until filled but initial resume` review will take
place in late September 2022.
Ampersand Families provides permanency and adoption services to older youth and families who face
barriers to equity in child welfare and champions systemic changes that advance belonging, dignity and
hope. As an organization, Ampersand Families strives to strategically address systemic inequity and
barriers to permanency for older youth, youth of color, and sibling groups.
Across roles at the agency, we seek experienced professionals who understand the profound impact that child welfare intervention has on the lives of children, youth, and families. A successful candidate for this position will be curious about how the child welfare system works and Ampersand Families’ role in developing and delivering innovative programming to advance equity for families that are inequitably and disproportionately impacted by the system. Fund development at Ampersand Families underpins innovation and makes truth-telling and systems-change possible.
Ampersand Families is proud to be an employer of choice with an organizational culture of excellence
that embraces humor, learning and collegial support. We employ professionals who are accountable for
learning the skills, building the relationships, and investing the time required to achieve and support real
outcomes for youth, families, and excellence in the programs designed to support them. Development
efforts advance the mission, strategic direction, and aspirations of the organization.
Ampersand Families is committed to doing our part to create a more equitable child welfare system. To
that end, Ampersand Families provides equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race,
color, religion, nationality, ethnic background, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender
expression, disability, marital status, socio-economic status, status with regard to public assistance,
political affiliation, veteran status, other non-visible differences and other protected attributes.
The Development Director is a new position that will be responsible for building a solid and sustainable
philanthropic program to achieve the organization’s mission and growth goals. The successful candidate
will be strategic, visionary, and skilled at hands-on fund development and communication activities and will work to incorporate the principles of community-centric fundraising into Ampersand Families’
The Development Director will have responsibility for all fund development initiatives and for achieving
the organization’s fund development revenue goals. They will report to the Executive Director and will
be a member of the Ampersand Families Leadership Team. They will work closely with the Finance and
Annual Development Plan
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, Finance and Operations Director, and board members, create a comprehensive annual development plan that supports the agency’s strategic plan
- Implement the annual development plan, setting clear goals and meeting budget targets
- Identify new and strengthen existing funding sources including individuals, corporations, foundations, government agencies, and others
Donor Relationships/Individual Donors
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward a portfolio of donor relationships
- Strengthen individual giving through the identification of new donors, visits, research, and networking
- Manage the life cycle of donors, from entry-level giving acquisition to retention, to major giving
- Manage donor stewardship plans and prepare gift acknowledgments and tax receipts for donors in a timely manner
- First point of contact for all donation inquiries
- Oversee the planning and execution of fundraising campaigns and events for various donor and prospect audiences/attendees
- Determine when an event is cost-effective when other strategies might be equally or more effective in meeting fundraising goals
- Develop and manage a comprehensive annual grant program, including identifying prospects and drafting letters of inquiry, proposals, applications, and reports
- Identify government, corporate, and private foundation grant opportunities
- Create fundraising messaging (e.g. e-newsletters, social media, direct mail, annual reports, annual appeals, targeted campaigns, etc.) that increases awareness and expands giving
- Utilize communication strategies to expand public awareness of our work as a strategy for growing the pool of contributors
- Maintain a clean, accurate database and create consistent processes for gift entry, donor and prospect management, acknowledgements, and reports
- Design, develop, and run regular reports such as revenue and cultivation reports
- Analyze donor data
Required Qualifications and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree or comparable experience in marketing, fundraising, communications, business, or a comparable field
- Minimum of 5 years of varied and successful fundraising, marketing, communications, or related experience
- Demonstrated ability to solicit annual, major, and planned gifts, write successful proposals, and secure sponsors
- In-depth knowledge of the philanthropic community and donor development trends and practices
- Familiar with donor database software and management tools
- Experienced in recruiting and engaging volunteers and board members in fundraising
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational skills, ability to prioritize multiple projects and deadlines, attentive to detail, and consistent in meeting goals and deadlines
- Strong leadership and project management experience
- Entrepreneurial, results-driven style and ability to identify and implement creative approaches to fund development
- Excellent people skills and versatility to effectively build relationships with varied stakeholders
- Personal and professional commitment to Ampersand Families’ mission, vision, and goals and to advancing the Agency’s commitment to antiracist practices
Salary Range: $75,000-$90,000 Dependent on qualifications.
Benefits: Ampersand Families has a competitive benefits package, including Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Life Insurance, Long-term Disability Insurance, Retirement Plan, 20 Days of PTO (accrued per year; increases with each year of employment), 10 floating holidays plus Juneteenth and Election Day paid holidays, Paid Parental Leave, and Short-term Disability Bank (accrue 5 days/year of service). All staff are provided a budget of $350 yearly for ongoing training and education.
Ampersand Families acknowledges that this is a time of significantly heightened stress for many in our community, and we recognize that this may impact a candidate’s readiness to apply for a new position. A detailed outline of our agency’s typical hiring process and timeline is included on our website (https://ampersandfamilies.org/contact/job-opportunities/) We encourage interested candidates to submit application materials and indicate if they need flexibility in the hiring process (which may include things like a different pace for interviews, flexibility in interview times).