Our company is growing rapidly and is searching for experienced candidates for the position of managing editor. If you are looking for an exciting place to work, please look at the list of responsibilities and qualifications below. If you don’t fill all the qualifications, you may still be considered depending on your level of experience.
Responsibilities for Managing Editor
- Provide content strategy and supervision of the MSR editorial team.
- Search for and cultivate stories that center the voices of African Americans in Minnesota, as well as shine a light on issues of inequality and inequity.
- Oversee a team of writers, ensuring high-quality and quantity output.
- Manage content production from writer to publication.
- Assign and manage the editorial calendar. Develop content calendar informed by consumer search trends and seasonal interests that are ultimately newsworthy and compelling to consumer and industry audiences.
- Establish and regulate departmental policies related to content, workflow, and presentation.
- Work closely with MSR social media strategy team to coordinate content integration and promotion around public events (as they are created).
- Work flexibly in a matrix business structure requiring communication and interaction with multimedia platforms (print, broadcast, events, social), audience development/marketing, creative services, operations, online and product development, marketing, and ad sales.
- Lead efforts to create compelling content across all mediums with the goal of generating traffic and driving new sales opportunities.
- Work directly with the MSR management team to understand business objectives and strategies.
- Drive reporting and analysis agenda to measure and optimize the impact of the team’s work.
- Train and develop junior team members.
- Write and edit content pieces and headlines.
- Build relationships and maintain a comprehensive media list of contributors and community partners.
- Continuously monitor and analyze web traffic and use that information to guide content development.
- Foster a can-do, upbeat, flexible attitude among staff and colleagues.
Qualifications for Managing Editor
- Requires sound news judgment and the ability to handle aggressive coverage plans on all platforms (print, digital, social).
- Must be a creative and vision-driven leader with strong instincts for news.
- BA required, preferably in journalism or media, and 4+ years of experience in journalism or editorial writing. Writing samples are required.
- Strong knowledge of EEO systems.
- Strong knowledge of components and business logic of journals’ Open Access business and workflows
- Excellent communication skills and an ability to lead while working collaboratively with multiple teams.
- A track record of leadership in a real-time news environment.
Pay commensurate with experience. To apply, send a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.