
Supporters of independent journalist Georgia Fort gathered outside the federal courthouse in St. Paul, Tuesday afternoon, calling for federal prosecutors to drop charges they say threaten press freedom.
Fort pleaded not guilty earlier in the day to federal felony charges connected to a January protest inside Cities Church in St. Paul. She is among nine people charged in the case, including activists and another journalist. Federal prosecutors allege the group conspired to interfere with religious worship during the Jan. 18 demonstration, where protesters interrupted a church service while criticizing immigration enforcement actions in Minnesota.
Outside the courthouse, speakers framed the case as part of a broader pattern of intimidation against journalists.
โThe attack on the press did not start or end with my arrest,โ Fort told the crowd and assembled media. โWe live in a time when AI images and AI videos are shaping our world’s reality, with a portion of our society living in delusion. So if you stand, stand for truth โฆ not just for all journalists, but for anyone who is having their First Amendment violated.โ
Fort, founder of BLCK Press and co-founder of the Center for Broadcast Journalism and its radio station Power 104.7 FM, has said she attended the church protest in her capacity as a journalist to document the demonstration.
โThis case doesn’t just leave me fighting for my freedom,โ she said. โIt is the government trying to muzzle me, to make me unable to report on one of the most historic cases, not just in our state, but in our country, reporting where you all know that I would uniquely give voice to the people who are otherwise not being centered in coverage of this case.โ
She urged reporters covering the case to handle it carefully.
โI asked the press, each one of you here today, please make sure you get this story right,โ Fort said. โListen, not just for me, but for everyone who is impacted, protect the press.โ
Chants of โprotect the pressโ erupted from the crowd.
Press freedom concerns
Harry Colbert Jr., vice president of the Center for Broadcast Journalism, described Fortโs work mentoring young reporters and characterized the prosecution as dangerous for democracy.
โMy name is Harry Colbert Jr. I’m the vice president for the Center for Broadcast Journalism, a non-profit news organization founded by this person right behind me, Georgia Fort,โ Colbert said. โThe Center for Broadcast Journalism and its radio station, Power 104.7 FM trains young journalists, ages 16 to 24 in the sciences and the arts of truth tellers.โ
Colbert said Fort and the other journalists at the protest were doing the same work as reporters covering Tuesdayโs hearing.
โYou’re here doing a job, you’re following a story, and you’re presenting that story to your various audiences,โ he said, addressing members of the media. โGeorgia and the two other journalists that were there at City’s church were doing what you’re doing right now.โ
He warned that allowing the case to proceed could erode constitutional protections.
โWhat will not be debated are the rights of the six protesters and the three journalists charged in this case,โ Colbert said. โAll are protected under the very First Amendment of our United States Constitution.โ
โReporting is not a crime,โ he added. โBut if we allow this malicious prosecution of Georgia to move forward, then, sadly, that statement will no longer be our truth in the United States of America.โ
Community support
Cindy Lewis, a former board member and longtime collaborator with Fort, expressed frustration that the charges remain pending.
โI am here today to express my extreme disappointment and outrage that we are still here talking about these charges,โ Lewis said. โDrop the charges, dismiss the charges, and a form of apology is definitely in order.โ
Lewis highlighted Fortโs career trajectory from volunteer to professional journalist and her work creating paid opportunities for young people.
โGeorgia has not only given to the community, but most importantly, has taken care of our babies with this professional industry, and has made way for them to create money in their pocket, as well as expanding their brains,โ Lewis said.
She also emphasized the importance of independent Black media.
โWe’ve got to come forward and support this independent media, independent Black media, specifically to what is happening, not only here in Minnesota, but across the country,โ Lewis said.
Broader implications
In her remarks, Fort referenced other incidents involving journalists she said demonstrate mounting pressure on the press, including arrests and use of force against reporters in Minnesota and elsewhere.
โIf they’ll arrest him live on television, on CNN, they will arrest me, an independent journalist,โ Fort said, recalling the 2020 arrest of a national reporter during unrest in Minnesota.
She called the issue larger than her individual case.
โThis isn’t just a U.S. problem. This is a global crisis,โ Fort said. โAs a journalist, I stand here today not only asking the world to help protect the press, but to continue fighting for me as long as this case takes.โ
Fort was released after her initial court appearance and remains free while the case proceeds. No trial date has been set.
Jasmine McBride welcomes reader responses at jmcbride@spokesman-recorder.com
