Free tax preparation sites now open across Minnesota

Income tax season is in full swing and free tax preparation sites are open across Minnesota. The Minnesota Department of Revenue announced that there are more than 240 sites across the state offering free tax assistance to those filing their income tax and property tax refund returns.

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and AARP Tax-Aide are two free tax preparation programs where volunteers help taxpayers prepare their federal and state income and property tax returns in communities throughout Minnesota

To receive free help from a VITA site, you must meet one of these four qualifications:

  • Be age 60 or older
  • Have a disability
  • Speak limited or no English
  • Have annual income of $54,000 or less

The AARP Tax-Aide program offers free tax preparation for all taxpayers, particularly those who are age 60 or older. AARP Tax-Aide sites do not have income or age restrictions.

All volunteers are certified by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and will only prepare basic tax returns.

“There are hundreds of IRS-certified volunteers ready to help taxpayers accurately file their taxes. They can even help identify the refundable credits taxpayers may qualify for,” said Revenue Commissioner Cynthia Bauerly. “I encourage those who qualify to take advantage of these free filing services.”

The sites are generally open now through April 15. To find a local site, hours, and dates, and a complete list of items to bring when visiting a site, visit the department’s website. You can search for a site by zip code or county, as well as sites with language interpreters and volunteers certified to complete military returns. Taxpayers can also call 651-297-3724 or 1-800-657-3989 to search for a site by phone.

Watch our video to learn more about free tax preparation sites available in Minnesota.

Get the latest news and updates from the Minnesota Department of Revenue by following the department on Facebook and Twitter or by signing up for our email subscription list.



This information was provided by the Minnesota Department of Revenue. For more information, visit