In 1987 Congress passed a public law designating March as Women’s History Month. The president also issued a proclamation and requested the United Stated to observe March by conducting various activities and ceremonies, which acknowledge their accomplishments.
Throughout the years, women have worked hard to obtain various opportunities and we would like to acknowledge various empowering women in the Twin Cities area that, due to their drive, tenacity and love for the community, have made an impact in the lives of others.
To celebrate their accomplishments, and Women’s History Month, the National Empowerment Group, Inc. OLU’s LLC, MLMJR Properties and Brownbody present The Women’s Empowerment Concert for fitness, wellness, and to combat health disparities.
The event will feature seven-time Grammy nominee, Kelly Price, who will perform live on Thursday, March 9 at the new Hyatt Regency Ballroom, 3200 East 81st Street in Bloomington. The doors open at 7 pm. The opening act will feature a live band with a tribute to Al Green, Gerald Levert and Marvin Gaye by Twin Cities own J. MOST and Ray Covington, along with Nashville’s finest, Jonathan Winstead.
Ladies, this will be an evening of bonding! This concert is a fundraiser for the National Empowerment Group, Inc., (NEG) a sustainable 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that has hosted various empowerment programs and events in the community.
Over the years, this agency has honored more than 80 women and approximately 4,000 people have attended these empowerment programs.
Their mission is to provide educational, professional and personal development programs that empower women and girls to reach their goals while providing the appropriate support. The Minnesota Chapter was started and will be led by the Founder of the Women Unite to Win Women’s Appreciation Luncheon and Vice President of NEG, J. MOST.
MOST is active in the community and committed to empowering girls and women through strategic effective programming. NEG offers life skills, personal and professional development, mentoring, financial fitness, health and wellness and stepping/line dance programs that motivate and empower all girls and women.
NEG is excited about serving the community and will continue to raise funds for their agency. These various programs will be in a school near you next semester. For more information about this agency, go to www.nationalempowermentgroup.org.
Tickets for the Kelly Price concert can be purchased at Urban Lights by calling 651-647-9650; Bouquets by Carolyn at 651-487-8122; Electric Fetus at 612-870-9300; or Top 2 Bottom at 763-951-2857. More ticket information can also be found by calling 612-237-5118.
The concert is a prelude to the Women Unite to Win 9th Annual Women’s Appreciation Luncheon, which will be held on March 11 at the new Hyatt Regency, hosted by the National Empowerment Group, Inc., & Pink Consulting, LLC. The networking mixer starts at 11 am and the awards ceremony will start at noon.
This “Empowerment” luncheon will honor the following distinguished women who work in the community, have demonstrated excellence in leadership and who are a source of positive influence and inspiration for others:
- Angela Winston-Hebert – fitness specialist and life coach
- Carolyn Smaller – Bouquets by Carolyn
- Del Gates – director, Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Rev. Gloria Thomas – Sr. Pastor, Camphor Methodist Church
- La Tasha Reed – president, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. – Minneapolis/St. Paul Alumnae Chapter
- Chief Melanie Rucker – Minneapolis Fire Department (Alumni Honoree)
- Phyllis Braxton – president, Pink Consulting, LLC & Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. (Honorary Chair)
- Priscilla Brown – director, Center for Fathers – Urban Ventures
- Sondra Samuels – president/CEO, Northside Achievement Zone
- Stella Whitney-West -owner of Golden Thyme Cafe & Selby Jazz Festival
- Christal Dillard – IT Executive, Delta Airlines & co-founder COMMAND STEPPERS
Several other women are involved in this program: Tracey Williams-Dillard, publisher of the Minnesota Spokesman-Recorder and CEO of Sister Spokesman; Wanda Kirkpatrick of the Metropolitan Council will provide Words of Encouragement; Leisha Sems, president of Amanda House will be the testimonial speaker; and Yolande Bruce will deliver a musical performance.
- MOST, founder of women “UNITE” to Win Women’s Appreciation Luncheon and Vice President of the National Empowerment Group, Inc., will host the event and Dr. Wendy Johnson president/founder National Empowerment Group, Inc., will give the program welcome.
Tickets for the Women Unite to Win 9th Annual Women’s Appreciation Luncheon can be purchased online at https://womensappreciationluncheon.eventbrite.com.
This information was provided by Dr. Wendy Johnson president/founder National Empowerment Group, Inc.