Organics recycling is easy:
- Collect food scraps and food-soiled paper products. Use an ice cream bucket or kitchen scrap bucket to collect food scraps in your kitchen. Line your collection containers with a paper bag or compostable bag to help keep it clean. Compostable bags and kitchen scrap buckets are available at local retailers.
- Empty your bagged organics into the organics cart provided by your waste hauler.
- Set out your organics cart on the curb on your trash collection day.
Materials that are accepted
Collect the following for organics recycling:
- fruits and vegetables
- meat, fish and bones
- bread, pasta and baked goods
- dairy products
- coffee grounds
Food-soiled paper products
- paper towels and napkins
- paper plates and cups*
- pizza boxes
- egg cartons
- waxed paper and paper containers*
- coffee filters and tea bags
* Paper must be certified compostable
Other compostable items
- tissues and cotton balls
- houseplant trimmings
Remember to continue to recycle your cartons, glass, metal, paper and plastic.
—Information from Hennepin County Recovery Center