The St. Paul City Conference boys’ and girls’ track meet held last week at St. Paul Harding High School last week had plenty of highlights. Here are five of them.
- Seventh-grader Hemetii Apet anchored the 4×400 girls’ relay team – which also included Sophia Rubins, Isabela Gonzales and Mary Ostergren – to a first-place finish, helping St. Paul Central to the team title.
- Keylan Jackson of St. Paul Johnson was a triple winner, taking the 100 meters (11.05), 200 (22.50) and 400 (48.67), capping a brilliant three-year conference career for the Governors.
- Paul Washington junior sprinter Janice Cole also found success three times, capturing top honors in the 100 (13.26), 200 (27.22) and 400 (1:01.28).
- Paul Highland Park Junior Seth Zeitchick anchored the 4×100 meter relay team –which included Babatunde Akimadale, Tramonta Garner and Goodword Simon – to victory, leading the Scots to the boys’ team title.
- Junior Brooklyn Jarrett contributed to St. Paul Central’s girls’ title by placing first in the discus and shotput.
Dr. Mitchell Palmer McDonald is a contributing columnist at the Minnesota Spokesman-Recorder.