The City of Minneapolis is working with community partners to open four new hygiene stations that provide access to bathrooms and handwashing stations for people experiencing homelessness.
The new stations will expand access to hygiene services during a time when the closure of public and private buildings has reduced or eliminated access to restrooms for people experiencing unsheltered homelessness. Each hygiene station will include a porta-potty, handwashing station, sharps container and trash bin. They will be open by the end of the week.
New hygiene station locations
- Bryant and Broadway Avenue North
- All Nations Church, 1515 E. 23rd St.
- Hope Church, 707 10th Ave. S.
- Lake Street/Midtown LRT Station
Providing these services is essential at a time when handwashing is the primary way to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and access to handwashing stations is extremely limited.
Additionally, people who are experiencing unsheltered homelessness may be at higher risk of moderate to severe COVID-19 symptoms because a lack of housing often contributes to poor health outcomes.
Additional collaborative work supporting people experiencing homelessness
- Hennepin County is currently providing alternative accommodations for people experiencing homelessness who are at high-risk or suspected of having COVID-19. To date, approximately 277 senior citizens and medically fragile individuals have been moved into hotels.
- Hennepin County has also opened its South Minneapolis service center at 2215 E. Lake St. for additional bathroom access. It will be open 7 am to 9 pm daily
- The City, Hennepin County and Downtown Improvement District (DID) have partnered to provide handwashing and portable toilets at downtown locations.
- The Salvation Army Harbor Lights Center, DID, MAD DADS, the City and Hennepin County have partnered to open a safe space at Currie Avenue and 10th Street designed to help people experiencing homelessness safely comply with the state’s stay-at-home order.
Learn more about the City’s COVID-19 response: minneapolismn.gov/coronavirus.