Curfew will be in place 10 pm to 4 am Monday and Tuesday night
Gov. Tim Walz struck a more hopeful note today as he said he would modify and extend the temporary nighttime Minneapolis and St. Paul curfew through Wednesday morning to provide safety for Minnesota residents in the face of unlawful behavior of last week.
“Having a curfew in place has allowed law enforcement to separate out those who mean to bring further pain and destruction in our communities from the thousands who have peacefully demonstrated for systemic changes in George Floyd’s name,” said Gov. Walz. “I want to thank our public servants who’ve worked tirelessly to restore peace to our neighborhoods, and all Minnesotans who have abided by the curfew to keep our communities safe.”
“This past week has been one of the most painful in our state’s history,” said Lt. Gov. Flanagan. “It hurts to stay inside when we know our voices are critical to bringing the systemic change we need, but we will continue this fight tomorrow, and every day after. Please stay home to stay safe and help our communities heal.”
The temporary curfew is extended from 10 pm to 4 am, beginning tonight, through the morning of Wednesday, June 3. During the curfew, no one is allowed to travel on Minneapolis and Saint Paul streets or public places, except for first responders, members of the media, people going back and forth to work, individuals seeking emergency care or fleeing danger, and people experiencing homelessness.
Curfews are not limited to Minneapolis and St. Paul. Mayors and local governments across the state can issue their own curfews.
All Minnesotans in Minneapolis and Saint Paul are urged to comply, and to comply with instructions from law enforcement. Peace officers will enforce the curfew and arrest those who refuse to comply.
On May 25, 2020, George Floyd died while in custody of the Minneapolis Police Department. The Walz-Flanagan Administration is committed to addressing the systemic inequities and discrimination that led to this incident and seeking justice.