The League of Women Voters Minneapolis (LWV) is co-sponsoring forums this fall with local community organizations. The forums will include candidates for city council representing Wards 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13.
The forum series and co-sponsors are as follows:
● Ward 1: October 4, 7 to 8:00 p.m.; candidate meet-and-greet 6:30 to 7 p.m.; Northeast Recreation Center, 1530 Johnson St NE; Co-sponsors: Logan Park Neighborhood Association, Northeast Park Neighborhood Association, Waite Park Community Council
● Ward 3: September 21, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., candidate meet-and-greet 6 to 6:30 p.m.; Minneapolis Central Library, 300 Nicollet Mall; Co-sponsors: Downtown Minneapolis Neighborhood Association and North Loop Neighborhood Association
● Ward 3: October 23, 7 to 8 p.m., MCN6 Studios, 1229 2nd St NE; Co-sponsors: Marcy Holmes Neighborhood Association, Sheridan Neighborhood Association, St. Anthony West Neighborhood Association
● Ward 4: September 20, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., North Market Community Room, 4414 Humboldt Ave N; Co-sponsors: McKinley Community Council, Webber-Camden Neighborhood Organization
● Ward 5: The video recording of this forum conducted on August 24 is available for viewing at the League of Women Voters Minneapolis website (www.lwvmpls.org)
● Ward 6: The video of the forum conducted on September 14 is available for viewing at the League of Women Voters Minneapolis website (www.lwvmpls.org)
● Ward 7: Loring Park /Downtown Area– September 28, 5:30 to 8 p.m., The Woman’s Club of Minneapolis, 410 Oak Grove St; Co-sponsors: Citizens for a Loring Park Community (CLPC), Downtown Minneapolis Neighborhood Association, The Woman’s Club of Minneapolis
● Ward 7: Neighborhood Area–October 12, 7 to 8:30 p.m., Lake of the Isles Lutheran Church, 2020 W. Lake of the Isles Parkway; Co-sponsors: Kenwood Neighborhood Association, Hill and Lake Press, Cedar-Isles-Dean Neighborhood Association (CIDNA), West Maka Ska Neighborhood Council, Lowry Hill Neighborhood Association, East Isles Neighborhood Association
● Ward 8: October 3, 7 to 8:30 p.m., candidate meet-and-greet afterward, Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Recreation Center, 4055 Nicollet Ave S; Co-sponsors: Field Regina Northrop Neighborhood Group, Kingfield Neighborhood Association, Lyndale Neighborhood Association, Make Voting a Tradition (NACDI), Community Power MN, Ayada Leads
● Ward 9: October 10, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Powderhorn Recreation Center, 3400 15th Ave. S; Co-sponsors: Ayada Leads, Community Power MN, Longfellow Community Council, Make Voting a Tradition
● Ward 10: October 2, 6:30 to 8 p.m., Abyssinian Cultural Center, 3rd Floor 322 W. Lake St; Co-sponsors: Ayada Leads, Community Power MN, East Bde Maka Ska Neighborhood Association, Make Voting a Tradition, MN Youth Collective, South Uptown Neighborhood Association, Whittier Alliance
● Ward 11: September 27, 7-8 p.m., candidate meet-and-greet 8 to 8:30 p.m., Mayflower Church, 106 East Diamond Lake Road; Co-sponsors: Field Regina Northrop Neighborhood Group; Hale, Page, Diamond Lake Neighborhood Group; Tangletown Neighborhood Association; Windom Community Council; Community Power MN
● Ward 12: September 13, 7 to 8 p.m., candidate meet-and-greet from 8 to 8:30 p.m., Longfellow Recreation Center, 3435 36th Ave S; Co-sponsors: Nokomis East Neighborhood Association, Longfellow Community Council, Standish-Ericsson Neighborhood Association, Make Voting a Tradition (NACDI), Ayada Leads
● Ward 13: The video recording of this forum conducted on September 6 is available for viewing at the League of Women Voters Minneapolis website (www.lwvmpls.org)
The forums will also be livestreamed, and video recorded for later viewing. Go to the League of Women Voters Minneapolis website (www.lwvmpls.org), to find the link to livestream or view the recording.
All candidates filing for office will be invited. The League of Women Voters Minneapolis will not conduct candidate forums for any uncontested races. Candidates will respond to questions on a wide variety of issues of concern to voters. The forums are free and open to the public.
The League of Women Voters Minneapolis is cosponsoring these events with local co-sponsors to provide nonpartisan voter education to the community. The LWV does not support or oppose candidates for office or political parties. Questions can be submitted in advance or at the event. The League also has an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) for voters to submit questions in advance. Voters attending the forum will have the opportunity to submit written questions for the candidates.
According to League of Women Voters policy, the identity of the person asking the question is confidential. Any questions submitted via email will remain confidential with all identifying information removed before the event. Audience members also can submit questions in writing at the event.
Links to the recordings for all 2023 City Council candidate forums already held can be found at. www.lwvmpls.org/for-voters.
The League of Women Voters Minneapolis, a nonpartisan 501(c)3 political organization, encourages informed and active participation of citizens in government and influences public policy through education and advocacy. Membership is open to all citizens.