Editor’s note: This story accompanied a Sister Spokesman “Get Fit” Challenge that has since run its course.
Today’s busy lifestyles do not cater to the health-conscious consumer. Everything is made quick and cheap. Starting or rebuilding a life you desire can take a lot of energy and time. But as the old school saying goes, “If we fail to plan, we plan to fail.”
- Take your initial weights and measurement
- Clean out your home of junk foods
- Stock up on spring water
- Research healthy recipes that work for your journey
- Start with a 10-minute walk or workout to get your body used to moving (longer, if needed)
- Start a journal of what you are currently eating and how often you eat
- Shop for healthy food choices
Plan to shop smart
How do we know what to shop for when we start our journey? Here’s a tip: shop the perimeter of the store. Along the perimeter, you will find your fresh produce, fresh meats, and hardly any processed or junk foods.
You should be careful of labels, as well. Be aware of products that say, “sugar-free,” but carry aspartame, which research has shown can cause cancers. Watch out for things that say, “light” because that may only mean the color has become lighter. Remember, even the pre-packed veggies and meats have preservatives in them to prolong freshness.
One Sister Spokesman “Get Fit” challenger, Natasha Phelps, told the MSR, “I’ve already started eating way, way better and incorporating meals similar to/from your guide. It’s helped me be more mindful and encouraged me to prepare healthy snacks/meals on Sunday before the week [gets] started.” Hey now, Ms. Phelps!
Find a Get Fit Challenge recipe offering below
Kale, pineapple and mint smoothie
This recipe offers anti-inflammatory benefits with five ingredients and two easy steps!
4 ice cubes
2 cups of kale
1 cup of coconut water
1 cup of pineapple chunks
1/4 cup of fresh mint leaves
1) Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
2) Once the ingredients are smooth, pour the mixture into two large glasses and enjoy.
Support Black local news
Help amplify Black voices by donating to the MSR. Your contribution enables critical coverage of issues affecting the community and empowers authentic storytelling.
This is GREAT information.
A reminder of the value of planning. Taking a few minutes up front may save money, time and frustration!